Creating Promo/Discount Codes
In the Bbot Owner Panel, you have the ability to create codes that your guests and employees can use to apply discounts to their orders. There are three different types of Promo/Discount Codes - New Customer Discounts, User/Employee Discounts, and Promo Codes.
To get started setting up a Promo or Discount Code, navigate to the 'Promos + Discounts' section of your Bbot Owner Panel via the Navigation Panel. Here, you will see a tab for each type of Promo/Discount Code.
Please see the descriptions below for each type of code. Once you've determined the type of code you would like to add, simply click its tab, then click the blue 'plus sign' circle as shown above, and fill in the fields for your new code.
Promo & Discount Code Types
1. New Customer Discounts are to incentivize new business and are specifically for new guests. You may choose to offer a percent or a fixed amount discount. The new customer is identified by their email address, so they will need to be logged into their Bbot Account in order for the discount to be automatically applied at checkout. Should you choose to create a New Customer Discount, you will only want to have one active at a time. Adding more than one New Customer Discount can cause issues at checkout or unintendedly steep discounts, as the system will attempt to automatically apply all of them to a given order.
2. User/Employee Discounts are intended for staff usage. These are also specific to email addresses, so staff will need to be signed into a Bbot Account with the email address that is associated with a given User/Employee Discount in order for the discount to be automatically applied at checkout. You can add more than one discount of this type, however, you will only want a given employee to be associated with a single User/Employee Discount.
For example, you may want to give staff 15% off and managers 20% off. In this case, you would create two separate discounts in this section, one for 15% for which you would list your staff's email addresses and another for 20% for which you would list your managers' email addresses. You would not want an email address to appear on both lists, or both discounts will automatically apply at checkout.
3. Promo Codes are unique codes that you create for your guests to enter at checkout. Promo codes are not specific to email addresses, so guests do not need to be signed into a Bbot Account to take advantage of a Promo Code. Unlike the other two discounts, Promo Codes are not automatically applied at checkout; instead, they need to be manually entered into the 'Promo Code' field at checkout to be applied to the order.
You can create an infinite amount of Promo Codes. For each, you may choose to offer a percent or a fixed amount discount, set a required minimum purchase amount (pre-tax, -fees, and -tips), as well as limit total uses, uses per guest, and/or valid date ranges.
*Please note that the 'Unlimited uses per guest?' feature, when unchecked and set with a limit, will only apply when a guest is logged into their Bbot account.
Parent/Child Accounts & Integrations
Participating Vendors: If you are working off of a parent account, you will see a field for Participating Vendors in which you can select the vendors to which you would like to add the code. For a promo code to apply to all items in a multi-vendor checkout, the promo code must be set at the parent level with no instances of the promo code on any of the child accounts.
Integrated Accounts: If you are a POS-integrated account, you may need to link
- Toast: For Toast-integrated accounts, you will first need to add a corresponding Discount in Toast that follows the specific parameters outlined here before creating the desired Promo Code in Bbot. Once you've done so, you can create your Promo Code in Bbot by following the directions outlined above but with one added step - manually linking the Promo Code in Bbot to the Discount in Toast.
To do so, click the 'Link POS Discount' field. Once selected, you will see Discount options imported from Toast. If you do not see the Toast Discount you would like to link to your Promo Code in Bbot, you can manually type its name into the this field and it should populate. If you receive an error when attempting to create the Promo Code in Bbot, please ensure that your Toast Discount is configured properly in Toast per this guide.
- Omnivore: For Omnivore-integrated accounts, you can choose to leave a promotion unlinked. For example, Aloha-integrated accounts may use this to work around Omnivore limitations, and the promo won't be injected.
Bulk Promotion Codes - Uploading & Archiving
Should you require multiple promo codes for a single promotion, you can upload a number of codes at once with a CSV file. To do so, select the 'Promo Code Promotions' tab. Then click the '+' sign option in the top right corner. This will open an editor popup. Fill out the required information, then scroll to the bottom of the popup and select the 'BULK UPLOAD PROMO CODES VIA A CSV List' button.
Next, click the blue 'UPLOAD FILE' button.
Add the file via the popup, save, and your promo codes will import.
To delete preexisting promo codes from a single promotion, simply open that promotion and scroll to the bottom of the editor where you can upload a CSV file, as described above. Check the box next to 'Delete all preexisting promo codes not in this list attached to this promotion,' then click 'Edit' to save.
Buy One Get One Promotions
Step 1: Create a Menu for full-priced items
Step 2: Create a second Menu for discounted items (50% off or free)
Step 3: Create corresponding Menu Tags for both menus (BOGO Full-Priced and BOGO Reduced)
Step 4: Set up your Checkout Limitations based on the configuration in the settings below.
* For information on your options if a guest forgets to enter their Promo Code, please see this article.