Creating Promo/Discount Codes
In the Bbot Owner Panel, you can create codes that your guests and employees can use to apply discounts to their orders. There are three different types of Promo/Discount Codes: New Customer Discounts, User/Employee Discounts, and Promo Codes.
To create a new Promo or Discount Code, navigate to the 'Promos + Discounts' section of your Bbot Owner Panel under the 'Restaurant Setup' heading.
Please see the descriptions below for each type of code. Once you've determined the type of code you would like to add, click the 'Add New Promo or Discount' button.
Promo & Discount Code Types
1. New Customer Discounts Incentivize new business and are specifically for new guests. You may choose to offer a percent or a fixed amount discount. The new customer is identified by their email address, so they must be logged into their Bbot Account for the discount to be automatically applied at checkout. If you create a New Customer Discount, you will only want to have one active at a time.
Adding more than one New Customer Discount can cause issues at checkout or steep discounts, as the system will attempt to apply all of them to a given order automatically.
2. User/Employee Discounts are intended for staff usage. These are also specific to email addresses; Staff must be signed into a Bbot Account with the email address associated with a given User/Employee Discount for the discount to be automatically applied at checkout. You can add more than one discount of this type; however, you will only want a given employee to be associated with a single User/Employee Discount.
For example, you may want to give staff 15% off and managers 20% off. In this case, you would create two separate discounts in this section, one for 15% for which you would list your staff's email addresses, and another for 20% for which you would list your managers' email addresses. You would not want an email address to appear on both lists, or both will automatically apply at checkout.
To create a new user or employee discount, click on the 'Discount' button and then click the next button.
You will then be presented with a choice of either 'Employees and Approved Guests' or 'First Time Guests'. Select the type of discount you would like to create and click the 'Next' button.
When creating a discount for Employees and Approved Guests, you will need to either enter the individual emails for the employees or enter an email domain to allow them to use the discount.
- Upload a CSV: You can upload a CSV file with all the email addresses you would like to use the discount code. Click the 'Click to Upload' button to select the CSV file, and then click the 'Upload' button.
- Invite Individual Guests by Email: If you want to add individual email addresses, enter each email and then hit the 'Enter' button to save the email address.
Once the guest's email address has been added, confirmation will be sent via email with the discount information. To use the discount, the guest will need to reset their password to their Bbot account.
- Approve Email Domains to Use Discount: If you would like to add domains that emails are attached to i.e. bbot.menu or gmail.com rather than individual emails, you can enter the domain into the 'Add Email Domain URL' and click the 'Enter' button. You can add as many domains as you would like.
Complete the fields shown below and click the next button to save your discount. Once all fields have been completed, click the 'Next' button to continue.
- Discount Name - This will be the name shown when an employee or a user proceeds to the checkout screen. If you would like to display a different name other than the discount name, you can click the 'Different Name Displayed to Guest' and enter the name you would like displayed.
- Discount Amount - You are able to select a fixed amount, a percentage of the order total, or you can select both to have both apply to the order.
3. Promo Codes are unique codes that you create for your guests to enter at checkout. Promo codes are not specific to email addresses, so guests do not need to be signed into a Bbot Account to take advantage of a Promo Code. Unlike the other two discounts, Promo Codes are not automatically applied at checkout; instead, they need to be manually entered into the 'Promo Code' field at checkout to be applied to the order.
You can create an infinite amount of Promo Codes. For each, you may choose to offer a percent or a fixed amount discount, set a required minimum purchase amount (pre-tax, -fees, and -tips), as well as limit total uses, uses per guest, and/or valid date ranges.
If a guest attempts to enter an expired promo code or has not met the minimum purchase requirements, they will receive an error explaining the reason for the promo code not being applied.
* Please note that the 'Unlimited uses per guest?' feature, when unchecked and set with a limit, will only apply when a guest is logged into their Bbot account.
To create a new promo code, click the 'Add New Promo or Discount' button and then click the `Generate New Promo Code' and click the 'Next' button.
Enter the name of the promo code and select either a fixed amount, percentage, or select both to have the fixed amount and the percentage deducted from the order total.
You will then need to configure your code by selecting the options below.
- How is Your Discount Used?
- Require Minimum Purchase - Selecting this option will allow you to specify an amount that needs to be in the cart before the promo code can be used. If the guest tries to add the promo code without including the minimum pre-tax purchase, they'll receive an error message advising of that.
- What Limitations Would You Like to Set?
- Discount can be used unlimited times per guest - This allows a guest to use a promo code as many times as they like per order.
- Discount can be used a limited number of times - This will limit the number of times a promo code can be used in total. For example, if you enter in the number of uses as 10, once it has been used that amount of times the guest will receive an error message indicating it is an invalid or expired code.
- Discount can be used a limited number of times per day - This will limit the number of times a promo code can be used within the hours that the location is open. For example, if you enter in the number of uses as 3, once it has been used that amount of times within the store hours the guest will receive an error message indicating it is an invalid or expired code when trying to use it.
- Discount can be used a limited number of times per calendar week (Monday - Sunday) - This will limit the number of times a promo code can be used each week. For example, if you enter in the number of uses as 5, once it has been used that amount of times within a single week the guest will receive an error message indicating it is an invalid or expired code when trying to use it.
- Discount can be used a limited number of times per calendar month - This will limit the number of times a promo code can be used each calendar month. For example, if you enter in the number of uses as 10, once it has been used that amount of times in a single month the guest will receive an error message indicating it is an invalid or expired code when trying to use it.
- When Does this Discount Apply?
- Discount does not expire - This allows the code to be used for an unlimited amount of time until you delete the promo code.
- Discount can be used for a limited time - You can enter a time frame for the code to be active in the Start Date/Time and End Date/Time. If a guest tries to use a code after the timeframe, they'll receive an error code advising the code is invalid or expired.
Bulk Promotion Codes - Uploading & Archiving
Should you require multiple promo codes for a single promotion, you can upload a number of codes at once with a CSV file. Click the 'Upload a CSV' button and then hit the 'Click to Upload' button. You'll need to select the file you'd like to add, hit save, and your promo codes will import.
To enter just one code, click the 'Enter Promo Codes Individually' button and enter the name of the promo code and click 'Next'. If you would like to add additional promo codes for the same amount, enter the name of the additional code and hit enter. Once you've entered all of the codes you would like, click the 'Next' button.
To delete preexisting promo codes, simply click on the box next to the Promotion Name and then click the 'Delete' button. You can also select all promo codes by selecting the box next to 'Promotion Name'. If you would like to make any edits to the promo code, you can click the pencil icon.
Parent/Child Accounts & Integrations
Participating Vendors: If you are working off of a parent account, you will see a field for Participating Vendors in which you can select the vendors to which you would like to add the code. For a promo code to apply to all items in a multi-vendor checkout, the promo code must be set at the parent level with no instances of the promo code on any of the child accounts.
Integrated Accounts: If you are a POS-integrated account, you may need to link
- Toast: For Toast-integrated accounts, you will first need to add a corresponding Discount in Toast that follows the specific parameters outlined here before creating the desired Promo Code in Bbot. Once you've done so, you can create your Promo Code in Bbot by following the directions outlined above but with one added step - manually linking the Promo Code in Bbot to the Discount in Toast.
To do so, click the 'Link POS Discount' field. Once selected, you will see Discount options imported from Toast. If you do not see the Toast Discount you would like to link to your Promo Code in Bbot, you can manually type its name into the this field and it should populate. If you receive an error when attempting to create the Promo Code in Bbot, please ensure that your Toast Discount is configured properly in Toast per this guide.
- Omnivore: For Omnivore-integrated accounts, you can choose to leave a promotion unlinked. For example, Aloha-integrated accounts may use this to work around Omnivore limitations, and the promo won't be injected.
Buy One Get One Promotions
Step 1: Create a Menu for full-priced items
Step 2: Create a second Menu for discounted items (50% off or free)
Step 3: Create corresponding Menu Tags for both menus (BOGO Full-Priced and BOGO Reduced)
Step 4: Set up your Checkout Limitations based on the configuration in the settings below.
For questions about creating a new promo or discount code, please contact our Support Team at email@example.com.